Thursday, January 1, 2009

"HAPPY NEW YEAR"


"Happy New Year to all".......It's now 2009 and my wish to you is that 2009 will bring you happiness, good health and whatever new years resolutions you make you are able to fulfill them this year....

How did you spend your New Years eve? Last year Marion started having a ball drop in our downtown so Bob and I went to it and it was really nice so we decided to go again this year. Most of the stores in the downtown area stay open until midnight and they have different organizations that set up stands and sell sandwiches, hot chocolate, etc. Our local fire department brings in their bucket truck and some lucky citizen gets to be in the bucket truck along with a fireman and they raise the "ball" way up in the air and at one minute before midnight they slowly lower the ball and when it lands on the street then it's midnight. The ball lights up and everyone cheers. Last year the turnout was pretty low but this year there was a lot of people there.

Bob and I knew it was going to be around 20 degrees at midnight so we really bundled up. You should have seen me. I looked like that little boy in the Christmas Story. I had on 2 pair of pants, 2 shirts, 2 pair of socks along with fur lined boots. I had on one of Bob's hunting coats, ear muffs, a toboggan and a hood. I also had on 2 pairs of gloves. You would think I would have stayed warm but my hands still got a little cold. The wind had been blowing pretty hard earlier in the day but thankfully the winds were calm at midnight. I know you probably think we are crazy for standing out in the cold watching a ball drop from the sky but I have to admit it is fun.
Today is a big football day for Bob. I believe the first game starts around noon and there will be games up until late tonight. I plan on having a lazy day. I want to read, watch a couple movies I have taped and take a couple naps. Sounds like a great day to me. We are also going to grill out this afternoon. Were having steaks...YUM!!!
I got a email from a friend that had some old wives tales I've never heard of for New Years. Like your not supposed to sweep your floors on New Years Day because you will sweep someone out of the family. The first one across your threshold on New Years Day cannot have red hair. Someone with red hair is supposed to bring anger into your home for the year. If you wash clothes on New Years Day then you will wash all your luck away. I don't really believe in these wives tales but I do remember mom used to always fix cooked cabbage on New Years and she would put a dime in the bowl and whomever got the dime was supposed to have good luck. We went to Kroger's yesterday and the meat department had a lot of pork out on display so I guess a lot of people eat pork on New Years Day. It's so funny what some people believe....
To everyone I wish a happy 2009. I hope the year offers to you everything you hope for. Take care.

2 comments:

JOY said...

I HAVE TO ADMIT THAT I AM A LITTLE SUPERSTITIOUS ON NEW YEAR DAY. THE RULE IS TO TAKE IT EASY AND BE HAPPY ON THE FIRST DAY OF THE NEW YEAR. NO ARGUMENTS, NO DISCONTENT, JUST RELAX AND ENJOY. IF THE RULE IS BROKEN, THEN DISHARMONY, UNHAPPINESS, ETC. WILL BE YOUR LUCK FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR.
WELL, WE HAD A GREAT DAY ON OUR NEW DAY!! I WAS VERY HAPPY. WE WATCHED MOVIES, HE WORKED OUTSIDE ON THE TRACTOR, I JUST ENJOYED A LAZY DAY. ALTHOUGH IT WAS COLD, THE SUN SHINED BEAUTIFULLY. HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GREAT NEW YEAR.

Tina said...

I am not superstitious.... what happens happens. Anyway Bob should have took a pic of you in all your fancy garb!! LOL